Thursday, July 8, 2010

I *heart* Jon Stewart. Plus, I'm not gonna drop-kick Muslims just because you do.

I caught Jon Stewart's opening monologue last night and I think he totally nailed it.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Wish You Weren't Here
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party

I wish folks would take the time to really learn a bit more about Islam (and from the source, not second-hand from idiots like FOX News) and spend some time thinking about the many ways Christianity is privileged in our "separation of church and state" society. I'm not saying anyone needs to 'turn Muslim' but a little open-minded willingness to ask sincere questions, listen honestly, and reflect humbly could do us all a world of good.

And, getting off my soap box, one of my favorite lines from Stewart's monologue was this:
FOX Newscaster: "There are a number of people asking, 'Why are these mosques being built in my community?'"
Jon Stewart:
"Oh! Oh! Oh! I, I think I know the answer to this one! There are Muslims in your community. And they can't find a prayer rug room in the church or synagogue."
Indeed.

No comments: