Saturday, February 5, 2011

40 by 40 Project: 40 Things to Accomplish Before 40

I’ve had this “Hopes & Dreams” Jar for something like eight years.  I think it was a gift from a friend, but I honestly don’t remember.  (Sarah, was it from you?)  It’s a lovely ceramic jar with a big ol’ cork lid, and somewhere along the way I actually decided to use it for the label already fired into the side.  So, scraps of paper holding sheepishly written goals and dreams got tossed in, and every once in a while – in a moment of inspiration – I pull down the jar and ruffle through the bits of paper, a process which generally results in my feeling unaccomplished, lazy, and/or ‘not trying hard enough.’  And yet, the idea of committing to the possibility of my dreams is pretty exciting.  So, having faith that I can actually accomplish a thing or two if I put my mind to it, I’m trying something a little different.  (And we shall see what becomes of this, being that the “Hopes & Dreams” Jar is perpetually covered in a thick layer of dust.) 

I am introducing my “40 by 40 Project: 40 Things to Accomplish Before 40.”  I was inspired by an old friend from high school (Hey MABs!) who’s working on a similar project, and it seemed like a wonderful way to do a little dreaming, vision planning, and imagining for the possibilities of my life.  Drawing from my “Hopes & Dreams” Jar and the innumerable lists I’ve made for myself in other moments of inspiration over the recent years, here is my 40 by 40 List as it stands right now.  I’ve got 10 years.  Let’s see what I can accomplish!
  • 1.  Be a better communicator with friends.  Do a better and more concerted job of staying in contact with the people who are important to me.  Whether using phone, email, letters, or carrier pigeon, stay in touch and let them know how valuable they truly are.
  • 2.  Travel to at least five continents.  So far I have spent time in North America (Mexico, Canada, & U.S.), Europe (Italy), and Asia (Japan & India), though I would joyfully visit new nations on each continent (Ireland and England are pretty high on that list), but ‘To Do’ destinations could include Central or South America (Guatemala, Costa Rica, Chile, Peru), Africa (Ghana or Togo, perhaps), and/or Australia/New Zealand.  I’m saying right now that I have no desire whatsoever to visit Antarctica.  None. (Winter 2013)
  • 3.  Publish a piece of creative writing (poetry, short, essay, memoir, whatever) in a print publication worthy of being proud.  (To date:  short essay “Border Crossing” in the Fall 2008 edition of the WGS Newsletter.)
  • 4.  Publish an article on education in a reputable education/parenting publication.  This could be related to educational best practice, music integration in ECED classrooms, school community atmosphere and communication (students, families, and teachers), diversity issues in educational spaces, etc.  (To date:  CCM report “The State of Play in Chicago’s Communities” (pdf), Summer 2010)
  • 5.  Earn a Masters Degree.  Honestly, I thought this wouldn’t be so hard, but holy crap…  Just have to finish the thesis! (Fall 2011)
  • 6.  Publish some aspect of my thesis in a scholarly publication.  Make my thesis mean more than “that one project that qualified me for a piece of paper saying I’m a ‘Master.’”  Have more than three people read my thesis work.
  • 7.  Buy a new digital camera and learn to use it. (Winter 2013)
  • 8.  Have a photograph published in a publication worthy of being proud.  (To date:  the DePaul University Study Abroad 9/2008 – 12/2010 wall calendar (My photo represented Mexico City for the month of November 2009.); CCM report “The State of Play in Chicago’s Communities” (pdf), Summer 2010)
  • 9.  Get a full-time job with benefits.  Is it asking too much for a full-time job with benefits that I actually LOVE?! (Winter 2013)
  • 10.  Get insurance – minimally just health care, but ideally health, dental, and vision.  Imagine! (Winter 2013)
  • 11.  Pay off my student loans.
  • 12.  Set up a retirement account/fund/plan so that if maintained I could actually retire someday.
  • 13.  Open a saving account (again) and put 10% of my monthly income into it every month.
  • 14.  Take Spanish lessons for more than six months.  (Ideally, take Spanish lessons until I can consider myself a successful Beginning/Intermediate Spanish speaker.)  Really work on comprehension and production of written and spoken practical Spanish.
  • 15.  Learn more ASL, enough to understand and participate in basic, low-level conversation. (Winter 2013)
  • 16.  Buy a bicycle and a helmet.  And ride whenever possible.  (Especially if I move somewhere lacking quality public transportation.)
  • 17.  Be committed to having physical activity as a central component of life.  This can include running, yoga, pilates, biking, etc. on a regular basis (at least 3-4 times a week).
  • 18.  Take a dance class.  Ballet and/or bellydance sound awesome.
  • 19.  Learn to snorkel. 
  • 20.  Learn rock climbing on a rockwall and/or on real rocks.
  • 21.  Take a self-defense class. (Fall 2011)
  • 22.  Become a more confident and consistent cook.  This does not mean learning how to cook meat.  But it does mean expanding my knowledge and skills around making healthy, delicious food.  (Learning more about spices and seasoning would be great.)  This also means learning to make things that actually go IN the oven, rather than just on the stovetop. 
  • 23.  Learn to garden.  I’d like to have my own flowers/vegetable garden and learn to eat from it seasonally.
  • 24.  Join a CSA.
  • 25.  Play the piano regularly again.  It’d be great if I owned a piano, but playing someone else’s would be enough…
  • 26.  Join a regularly performing choral group that challenges me and brings me joy.
  • 27.  Take guitar lessons again with the goal of expanding my chord repertoire to more than five chords.  Be able to accompany myself in a passable way in the comfort of my own home.
  • 28.  Get actively involved in an organization benefiting women, girls, and/or advocating gender and sexuality justice issues.
  • 29.  Create a home with an inviting, joyous, comfortable, loving atmosphere.
  • 30.  Build a ‘real’ home library.  I have TONS of books, but I want real bookshelves and for my books to be organized on those bookshelves in a way that’s easy to reference and welcomes others to share in the literature that I find engaging.
  • 31.  Visit the Grand Canyon.
  • 32.  See the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) in person.
  • 33.  Visit the Amazon Rainforest.
  • 34.  Teach on the college/university level.  Teach educational sociology, diversity studies in education, educational best practice, multicultural/anti-bias education, etc. 
  • 35.  Get a second Masters or a PhD.  But do this ONLY if it seems life-giving and comes from personal desire (not professional pressuring).
  • 36.  Enroll in continuing adult education courses or certificate programs.  (There are a few Parenting Education and Diversity Studies certification programs that look pretty enticing.) (Winter 2013)
  • 37.  Learn more about microfinance and support micro-loans.  (Kiva and Oikocredit may be good options.) 
  • 38.  Go WWOOFing.
  • 39.  Learn basic videography and video editing.
  • 40.  Learn how to use Photoshop.
(When compiling my list it was also helpful to read some of the suggestions offered by Marelisa at Abundance Blog.  If you search "bucket list" online, you can find hundreds of other suggestions.)

last updated 12/22/2011 
last updated 1/1/2013

1 comment:

Sherck said...

Best of luck to you! There are a lot of great goals there.

I did something similar over three years ago (http://wheresmyplan.blog-city.com/my_bucket_list.htm) and should perhaps revisit the idea...